Jones, Hawkins & Associates
Call For A Consultation:
[et_pb_stop_stacking disabled_on=”on|on|on” _builder_version=”4.3.2″ disabled=”on” global_colors_info=”{}”][/et_pb_stop_stacking]
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

Tips for avoiding spring break parenting time disputes

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2017 | Child Custody

Even with the chilly weather our region experienced last week, one thing keeps people (especially kids) happy; the prospect of spring break and warm weather right around the corner. With that, many families are making plans for when kids will be out of school. This can be an uneasy time for divorced and separated parents, especially those who are going through the process for the first time.

Problems may arise when raw feelings still exist between parents, or a court order has not been established that details how parenting time during school holidays. Whatever problems may arise, parents who are equipped to deal with conflict are more likely to have fun during this time. With that, we offer some helpful tips so that planning for spring break can go smoothly.

Diplomacy is the key – Indeed, this may not be easy for parents who are dealing with a vindictive ex, but it is a reasonable course of action given the alternative. Once the gauntlet is thrown down, it is much more difficult to gain cooperation or compromise.

Be willing to compromise – This is where the willingness to give up something for the benefit of the child is key. Essentially, being willing to compromise will go a long way in maintaining a healthy co-parenting relationship.

Document your actions – Having a history of being willing to compromise will be helpful in the event you have to go to court. A family court judge may be sympathetic towards a parent who is making a concerted effort to be a reasonable co-parent.

The preceding is not legal advice. If you have specific questions about parenting time disputes, an experienced family law attorney can help. 

FindLaw Network