Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

Collecting child support payments in Alabama after relocation

On Behalf of | Sep 3, 2018 | Child Support

Life changes, and those changes can include moving out of state or even out of the country. When it comes to collecting child support payments after one parent relocates to another state, there are issues that come into play. For Alabama parents who find themselves in this situation, interstate child support comes into play, and a child support order may need to be modified. 

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) is in place to help with problems that may arise from these types of situations. The act, which is enforced in all 50 states, takes into consideration things like the originating state from which the child support order came and the current residency of the parent who is paying the support. But UIFSA grants the originating state the authority to send a withholding notice to the new state of the payer of child support. In other words, that parent will still be beholden to pay support and any arrears that might have accumulated. 

When it comes to child support modification, a new state can modify a child support order if both parents have moved to a new jurisdiction. If both parents move to two different states, the parent who wants the modification needs to file in his or her new state. Paternity of the child or children must be without question before seeking a child support order if either parent has relocated to another state. 

An Alabama family law attorney would be knowledgeable about child support laws and how they apply to his or her client’s unique case. He or she would also know how certain acts such as the UIFSA come into play. Many people are unaware of these legalities when it comes to their children, and a lawyer may be able to clear up any confusion these laws might create.

FindLaw Network