Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

Are you having trouble keeping up with child support payments?

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2020 | Child Support

A recent job loss or pressing financial obligations could make it difficult for you to keep up with child support payments. You do not want to give your child or your former spouse the impression that you do not want to fulfill your obligations as a parent, but you are unsure of what to do. 

National Family Solutions offers solutions to help remedy your situation. Take action now to get ahead of a potential financial (and legal) disaster. 

Let your ex know about your situation  

One of the first things you need to do is sit down with your ex to let him or her know about your financial situation. Explain why you fell behind on payments and if/when you expect to make payments again. If you can make partial payments, suggest this option to your ex. 

Adjust your budget 

You could have some unnecessary expenses in your budget. Take a close look at your current expenses and see if you can eliminate anything. There could be a streaming or delivery service you do not need or do not use anymore. Forgotten recurring payments could also leech money from your account. 

Contact the Child Support Enforcement Agency  

Like all states, Alabama has a Child Force Enforcement Agency. With their help, you can modify your child support payments. To do so, you need to fill out paperwork explaining the financial hardship that makes it difficult for you to keep up with payments. Be honest about your reasons, and offer as many details as possible. 

Do not suffer in silence if you cannot consistently pay child support. Sit down with a legal professional to cover all your bases and do right by your child. 

FindLaw Network