Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

What should you know about child support enforcement?

As a parent, you likely want nothing but the best for your child. But, due to various factors, you may find yourself unable to make your court-ordered child support payments. Falling behind may not only affect your child, but it may also lead to a range of repercussions for you.

To help protect yourself and your ability to provide for your child, it may benefit you to understand the enforcement options the Alabama Department of Human Resources may employ.

Income Withholding

According to the DHR, a court or administrative order may instruct your employer to withhold a portion of your wages to apply to your child support obligation. For example, if the court ordered you to pay $300 per month, then your employer may deduct $150 from each of your bi-monthly paychecks. Income withholdings serve as one of the most effective options for enforcing child support orders.

Tax Interceptions

Should you fall behind on your child support payments by $500 or more, the state may report your arrears to the state’s Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service. Consequently, the government may deduct any amounts you owe in back child support from your state or federal tax refunds.

License suspensions or revocations

Should you fall behind on your court-ordered child support, the DHR may also take actions to have your driver’s, recreational or sporting, and professional licenses withheld, revoked or suspended. This may include your permits to operate various businesses, or your hunting or fishing licenses. Additionally, your requests for a new passport or a renewal of your passport may get denied or your travel privileges may otherwise get restricted should you owe at least $2,500.

FindLaw Network