Jones, Hawkins & Associates
Call For A Consultation:
[et_pb_stop_stacking disabled_on=”on|on|on” _builder_version=”4.3.2″ disabled=”on” global_colors_info=”{}”][/et_pb_stop_stacking]
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

Checking your balance and paying child support

If you recently got a divorce and you owe child support, or you anticipate that child support obligations will arise in the future, it is essential to ensure that you stay current. Make sure that you take advantage of various tools available to help you pay for child support. For example, you should check your balance in order to ensure that you are current.

You should also familiarize yourself with different child support payment methods, if necessary. Many parents have child support withheld by their employer, but some have to make payments on their own. If you are in this position, compare your options and make sure you pay on time.

Checking your child support balance

According to the Alabama Department of Human Resources, you can access information pertaining to your child support balance online or using the state’s voice response system. Calling this system provides non-custodial and custodial parents with details related to the child support case, such as payment history and the case balance. You will need to provide your Social Security number and you can access this information around the clock.

Child support payment methods

In Alabama, you can now make child support payments online or by visiting an approved money transfer service at locations throughout the state. Make sure you go over the pros and cons of each option, such as convenience and applicable fees.

Some parents struggle to pay support as a result of a financial crisis brought on by job loss or a health battle. However, failing to pay child support can result in harsh repercussions, causing you to lose your license, face financial penalties and even spend time behind bars.

FindLaw Network