Photo of attorneys Nicholas A. Jones and Alyssa L. Hawkins

Partners in Criminal Defense

Serving Central Alabama
Photo of attorneys Nicholas A Jones and Alyssa L Hawkins

Denied visitation and child support payments

If you are responsible for paying child support, you could have various stressors to work through. Whether you want to modify your child support order because of major financial changes or your child’s other parent is violating the terms of a court order by refusing to let you see your child, these issues are often very emotional.

It is vital to have a clear understanding of your rights as well as your legal options. Make sure you stay current on child support payments in order to avoid harsh repercussions, such as the loss of your license or passport and even time behind bars.

Denied visitation and child support obligations

If your former marital partner is refusing to let you see your child, you likely feel frustrated and could have emotional challenges to deal with. However, the Alabama Department of Human Resources states that you still have to make child support payments even if your former spouse denies your visitation rights. According to the law, courts handle visitation and child support matters separately, and your child support obligations are not affected by your former spouse’s failure to comply with a visitation order.

Addressing denied visitation

Although you still have to pay child support in the wake of denied visitation, you should explore your legal options with respect to enforcing a visitation order. Custodial parents who fail to respect the terms of a custody or visitation order could face various consequences, such as financial penalties and even the threat of arrest and criminal charges.

When dealing with denied visitation, make sure you carefully go over circumstances and identify the best course of action.

FindLaw Network